Alabama has won 5 national titles in 9 seasons. Fans want to know, “How does Alabama do it?”
With a Preface by Alabama Football Coach Nick Saban and a Foreword by ESPN's College Gameday Host Rece Davis.
Phil Savage first worked with Nick Saban when they both joined the Cleveland Browns’ coaching staff in 1991. They were reunited in 2009 when Savage became part of the Crimson Tide Sports Network as the radio color analyst. Since then, Savage has enjoyed an up-close view of the Alabama program’s dedication to recruiting, its commitment to practice, and devotion to fundamentals.
Now comes his 360-degree perspective on Alabama football and Coach Nick Saban’s unique coaching style, a style that has led the Crimson Tide to five Southeastern Conference titles, three consecutive College Football Playoff appearances and four national championships.
Savage details Coach Saban’s year-round preparation, his willingness to adjust and his belief in “complimentary football.” The book offers a close look at their player development and practice habits and gives a glimpse of the Crimson Tide’s approach of playing every single down like it’s 4th and goal.
You won’t find another person who can intelligently discuss Alabama football in public better than Phil Savage. Together with Ray Glier, this in-depth story chronicles how the Crimson Tide re-emerged as one of the true superpowers in college football.
|Publisher:||St. Martin''s Publishing Group|
|Product dimensions:||5.40(w) x 8.20(h) x 0.80(d)|
About the Author
PHIL SAVAGE is the executive director of the Reese’s Senior Bowl and is the former GM of the Cleveland Browns. He served as a Front Office Insider for ESPN and is currently an analyst for SiriusXM’s College Sports Nation and NFL channels. RAY GLIER is a journalist who contributes to USA TODAY and The New York Times, among other publications. He has worked on books with top college football coaches and is the author of How the SEC Became Goliath.
Table of Contents
Preface by Nick Saban
Foreword by Rece Davis
Introduction: My Close-Up of 4th and Goal
1. America’s Team Seeds a Dynasty: The Cowboys and the Crimson Tide
2. The Prescription: The Alabama Recruiting Formula
3. Development: 4th and Goal on the Practice Field
4. Practice: “We Played This Game . . . Already”
5. Optic Yellow Goalposts: Football Plays Big in Alabama
6. Training the Eyes: From the Rat, to Homer, to Bill and Nick
7. A Tilt Toward the Tigers: . . . and Then a Turnaround
8. The Full Toolbox: Saban Has All the Devices and Gadgets to Win
9. Evolution of a Defense: Hardball to Fastball to Moneyball Alabama Joins the Modern Game: Julio Leads a Parade of Receivers into T-Town
11. My Eyes to Your Ears: In the Philm Room for Nick Saban
12. A Perfect Marriage: Nick Saban and Alabama Connect
Select Scouting Reports