Publisher's Note: Products purchased from Third Party sellers are not guaranteed by the publisher for quality, authenticity, or access to any online entitlements included with the product.
Break through brick walls in your genealogical research
"Easy to read, provides clear explanations, examples and is well-illustrated, thus definitely meeting the needs of libraries and individuals seeking a book to guide family historians who are beyond the basics and need help solving problems."FORUM magazine
Learn how to use innovative methods to unearth hard-to-find ancestors. Advanced Genealogy Research Techniques shows you, step by step, how to uncover elusive details by taking advantage of specialized tools and software programs and using proven best practices for breaking through the brick walls that have hindered your progress.
You’ll get professional advice on formulating a research strategy, understanding the details you discover, keeping careful track of your data, analyzing the evidence, and developing hypotheses. Real-world case studies demonstrate how you can apply the systematic procedures presented in this practical guide to your own researchand achieve success!
- Examine the brick wall in detail to find potential weak spots that can be exploited into a breakthrough
- Use brute force techniques that leave no stone unturned
- Obtain exact copies of original records rather than derivative sources
- Research the family, associates, and neighbors (FANs) of your brick wall ancestor
- Consult with your family, friends, and colleagues to get a fresh perspective on your research
- Use crowdsourcinggenealogy societies, online forums, social media, blogs, wikis, and podcasts
- Apply technological solutions, including DNA testing and specialized genealogical software
- Get tips on hiring a professional genealogical researcher with the appropriate credentials and references
- Revisit your brick wall problem after honing your research skills
- Review your evidence, develop a research strategy, and keep a meticulous research log
|Publisher:||McGraw-Hill Professional Publishing|
|Product dimensions:||7.30(w) x 9.00(h) x 0.50(d)|
About the Author
George G. Morgan, an internationally recognized genealogy expert, is president of Aha! Seminars, Inc., and vice president of membership for the Federation of Genealogical Societies. He is the author of several books, including three editions of How to Do Everything: Genealogy. George coproduces The Genealogy Guys Podcast with Drew Smith.
Drew Smith, MLS, a librarian at the University of South Florida, is the “Rootsmithing with Technology” columnist for the Federation of Genealogical Societies’ FORUM magazine. He is chair of the Family History Information Standards Organisation and president of the Florida Genealogical Society of Tampa.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
I found my Great Grandmother who I have been searching for nine years as a result of tips in this book. Enough said.
I bought this book as a gift, so I have not read it myself. The recipient has told me that he is learning a lot from the book. It has provided many new approaches and techniques to genealogy research for someone who has been at it for several years. The book is written in a clear and simple manner, meaning it is written for the comman man/woman to understand.