New to This Edition
*Fully restructured around a differentiated instruction model.
*Incorporates response-to-intervention concepts and principles.
*Chapter on exemplary prevention-focused classrooms, with an emphasis on playful learning.
*Additional appendices: multipage assessment scoring record plus sample completed forms.
*Links instruction to the Common Core State Standards.
|Publisher:||Guilford Publications, Inc.|
|Sold by:||Barnes & Noble|
|File size:||12 MB|
|Note:||This product may take a few minutes to download.|
|Age Range:||4 - 5 Years|
About the Author
Donald J. Richgels, PhD, is Distinguished Research Professor Emeritus in Literacy Education at Northern Illinois University. His research interests are preschool and kindergarten classroom practice and the relationship between spoken language acquisition and literacy development.
Table of Contents1. Who Is at Risk for Reading Difficulties?: Implications for Early Literacy Prevention and Intervention Programs
2. Accelerating Children's Language and Literacy Learning in Exemplary Prevention Classrooms
3. Keeping the End Goal in Mind: Teaching for Knowledge and Comprehension Gains
4. Literacy Development and Its Assessment
5. Using Assessment to Plan Differentiated Instruction
6. Small-Group Differentiated Instructional Activities for Early Emergent Readers and Writers
7. Small-Group Differentiated Instructional Activities for Later Emergent Readers and Writers
8. Small-Group Differentiated Instructional Activities for Experimenting Readers and Writers
9. Differentiated Instruction in Action
Appendix A. A Primer on Phonics for Teachers
Appendix B. Literacy Assessments
Appendix C. Literacy Assessment Scoring Record
Appendix D. Literacy Assessment Scoring Records for Eric, Sarah, Marceli, and Jacob
Preschool and kindergarten teachers; reading specialists; school and child care administrators; instructors and students in early childhood education and early literacy. Serves as a text in undergraduate- and graduate-level courses such as Early Literacy Development, Emergent Literacy, Early Childhood Reading, and Reading Instruction for At-Risk Students.