Focus on Grammar 4 with Essential Online Resources / Edition 5 available in Paperback
- Pub. Date:
- Pearson Education ESL
Building on the success of previous editions, Focus on Grammar , Fifth Edition continues to leverage its successful four-step approach that lets learners move from comprehension to communication within a clear and consistent structure. Centered on thematic instruction, Focus on Grammar combines comprehensive grammar coverage with abundant practice, critical thinking skills, and ongoing assessment, helping students communicate confidently, accurately, and fluently in everyday situations.
The Fifth Edition continues to incorporate the findings of corpus linguistics in grammar notes, charts, and practice activities, while never losing sight of what is pedagogically sound and useful.
New to This Edition
- New and updated content showcases culturally relevant topics of interest to modern learners.
- Updated grammar charts and redesigned grammar notes with clear, corpus-informed grammar explanations reflect real and natural language usage, allowing students to grasp the most important aspects of the grammar.
- Expanded communicative activities encourage collaboration and application of target grammar in a variety of settings.
- New unit-ending From Grammar to Writing section allows students to apply grammar in writing through structured tasks from pre-writing to editing.
- New assessment tools, including course diagnostic tests, formative and summative assessments, and a flexible gradebook, are closely aligned with unit learning outcomes to inform instruction and measure progress.
- FOG Go app for iPhone® and Android® lets students easily navigate Student Book audio clips on their phone or tablet.
- Updated for the Fifth Edition, MyEnglishLab: Focus on Grammar offers students engaging practice and video grammar presentations anytime, anywhere with immediate feedback and remediation tasks to help promote accuracy.
- Scaffolded exercises help learners bridge the gap between identifying grammatical structures and using them with confidence and accuracy.
- High-interest readings in multiple genres expose students to the form, meaning, and use of grammar in natural contexts.
- Key vocabulary taught, practiced, and recycled throughout the unit ensures acquisition.
- Listening tasks give students multiple opportunities to focus on spoken English and develop listening skills.
- Mapped to the Global Scale of English.
Table of Contents
Welcome to Focus on Grammar
The Focus on Grammar Unit
Scope and Sequence
About the Authors
PART 1 Present and Past: Review and Expansion
UNIT 1 Simple Present and Present Progressive
UNIT 2 Simple Past and Past Progressive
UNIT 3 Simple Past, Present Perfect, and Present Perfect Progressive
UNIT 4 Past Perfect and Past Perfect Progressive
PART 2 Future: Review and Expansion
UNIT 5 Future and Future Progressive
UNIT 6 Future Perfect and Future Perfect Progressive
PART 3 Negative and Tag Questions, Additions and Responses
UNIT 7 Negative Yes/No Questions and Tag Questions
UNIT 8 Additions and Responses: So, Too, Neither, Not either, and But
PART 4 Gerunds, Infinitives, and Phrasal Verbs
UNIT 9 Gerunds and Infinitives: Review and Expansion
UNIT 10 Make, Have, Let, Help, and Get
UNIT 11 Phrasal Verbs: Review and Expansion
PART 5 Adjective Clauses
UNIT 12 Adjective Clauses with Subject Relative Pronouns
UNIT 13 Adjective Clauses with Object Relative Pronouns
PART 6 Modals: Review and Expansion
UNIT 14 Modals and Similar Expressions: Review
UNIT 15 Advisability in the Past
UNIT 16 Speculations About the Past
PART 7 The Passive
UNIT 17 The Passive: Overview
UNIT 18 The Passive with Modals and Similar Expressions
UNIT 19 The Passive Causative
PART 8 Conditional Sentences
UNIT 20 Present Real Conditional Sentences
UNIT 21 Future Real Conditional Sentences
UNIT 22 Present and Future Unreal Conditional Sentences
UNIT 23 Past Unreal Conditional Sentences
PART 9 Indirect Speech and Embedded Questions
UNIT 24 Direct and Indirect Speech
UNIT 25 Tense Changes in Indirect Speech
UNIT 26 Indirect Instructions, Commands, Advice, Requests, Invitations
UNIT 27 Indirect Questions
UNIT 28 Embedded Questions
Glossary of Grammar Terms
Unit Review Answer Key
Information Gaps, Student B