Introducing Needs Analysis and English for Specific Purposes is a clear and accessible guide to the theoretical background and practical tools needed for this early stage of curriculum development in ESP. Beginning with definitions of needs analysis and ESP, this book takes a jargon-free approach which leads the reader step-by-step through the process of performing a needs analysis in ESP, including:
- how to focus a needs analysis according to the course and student level;
- the selection and sequencing of a wide variety of data collection procedures;
- analysis and interpretation of needs analysis data in order to write reports and determine Student Learning Outcomes;
- personal reflection exercises and examples of real-world applications of needs analysis in ESP.
Introducing Needs Analysis and English for Specific Purposes is essential reading for pre-service and in-service teachers, and students studying English for Specific Purposes, Applied Linguistics, TESOL and Education.
|Publisher:||Taylor & Francis|
|Series:||Routledge Introductions to English for Specific Purposes Series|
|Edition description:||New Edition|
|Product dimensions:||6.25(w) x 9.25(h) x (d)|
About the Author
James Dean Brown is Professor in the Department of Second Language Studies at the University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa. He has spoken and taught courses in places ranging from Brazil to Yugoslavia, and has published numerous articles and books on language testing, curriculum design, program evaluation, and research methods.
Table of Contents
Section One - Getting ready to do an ESP Needs Analysis
1. Defining needs analysis in English for specific purposes (ESP)
2. Focusing the ESP needs analysis
3. Selecting and sequencing ESP needs analysis data collection procedures
Section Two – Doing the ESP Needs Analysis
4. Collecting ESP needs analysis data
5. Analyzing and Interpreting ESP needs analysis data
Section Three - Using the Needs Analysis results
6. Using the NA results in the rest of the ESP curriculum
7. Reporting on the ESP needs analysis project