Modern China: A History / Edition 2 available in Paperback
- Pub. Date:
Readable, informative and clear, this widely used survey of twentieth-century China has been a welcome introduction to an unfamiliar world for many thousands of readers since its first appearance in 1986. Much has happened since then, with political tension going hand in hand with a spectacular economic growth under Deng Xiaoping that has caused the outside world to recognise China, with mixed emotions, as a rising superpower. This eagerly awaited and substantially expanded new edition (reset in a more generous format) brings the story up to date.
Table of Contents
List of maps.
List of illustrations.
Introductory note: Chinese names and Chinese geography.
1. The Chinese past.
2. The collapse of the old order.
3. The Communist Party and the First United Front.4. The Nanjing decade, 1927-1937.
5. World war and Communist victory.
6. The People's Republic of China, 1949-1957.
7. The Great Leap and the great split.
8. The Cultural Revolution.
9. The post-Mao reforms.
10. The limits of reform.
Suggestions for reading.