Optimal Management of Flow in Groundwater Systems: An Introduction to Combining Simulation Models and Optimization Methods / Edition 1 available in Hardcover
- Pub. Date:
- Elsevier Science
In the decades ahead population increases are expected to place increased stress on water resources. A substantial portion of the world's fresh water is derived from groundwater. Optimal Hydraulic Control of Groundwater Systems will provide a practical guide for implementing mathematical and computer-based tools to aid in the management of groundwater. Drawn from the operations research literature, this book combines methods for optimization techniques to numerical models for the simulation of groundwater flow. The resulting management model provides a valuable tool for optimizing performance of groundwater systems. This volume will fill a significant gap in the technical literature on groundwater modeling and management.
- Provides a thorough description of the mathematics underlying the method and a step-by-step introduction to practical application
- Introduces key concepts using an example continued throughout the book
- Contains MODOFC software package and associated documentation that implements many of the methods described in the book
- Details advanced topics, including nonlinear and integer problem elements and interpretation of management model results
- Each chapter ends with a summary of selected references and brief histories of the methodologies presented in the book
|Product dimensions:||0.63(w) x 6.00(h) x 9.00(d)|
Table of Contents
Preface. List of Variables. Groundwater Flow Management. Groundwater Simulation. Building the Management Formulation. Solving the Management Formulation. Using the Management Model. Advanced Linear Formulations. Formulations with Binary Variables. Formulations with Nonlinear Functions. Appendix. References. Index.
What People are Saying About This
William W.-G. Yeh, Dept. of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of California Los Angeles
Taken as a whole, the book gives a good summary of much of the state of the art of groundwater models that combine simulation and optimization.