Miles brings Plotinus' thought alive for the twenty-first century by relating it to present day concerns.
|Product dimensions:||6.00(w) x 9.00(h) x 0.70(d)|
About the Author
Margaret R. Miles is Dean and d Academic Vice-President of the Graduate Theological Union, Berkeley, and is President of the American Academy of Religion. She was formerly Bussey Professor of historical Theology at Harvard University. Her previous books include Image as Insight: Visual Understanding in Western Christianity and Secular Culture, Carnal Knowing: female Nakedness and Religious Meaning in the Christian West, Seeing an Believing: Religion and values in the Movies, and, most recently, Reading for Life: Beauty, Pluralism, and Responsibility (1998).
Table of Contents
1. Introduction: Seeing Double.
2. Beauty: The Stepping Stone.
3. 'Choice and Chance': Soul as Pivot of the Universe.
4. Body in Third-century Rome.
5. Providence: Does the One Care for Us?.
6. 'Go on Up': The One and Contemplation.
7. Plotinus for the Present.
Index of Passages, Plotinus.
Index of Names and Subjects.