The book is user-friendly.
The approach is puppy-friendly!
Your puppy is so irresistible, cute, and lovableuntil she chews your shoe, uproots your flowers, ruins your rug, demolishes your remote, or gobbles up your steaks.
Understanding your puppy's unique personality, breed-specific traits, and temperament will help you tailor and implement proper, positive training techniques to save your sanity and your puppy! PuppyPerfect explains how to develop a nurturing and mutually respectful relationship with your puppy, which is the key to getting her to behave properly. You'll get information on supplies you need for a puppy, proper feeding, healthcare, and more. You'll learn about puppy psychology, personality, breed differences, and training tools. You'll discover how to make training your puppy more effective and more enjoyable, with:
* Six puppy personality profiles, plus a quiz to help you determine where your puppy fits
* Step-by-step lessons for puppies at various ages and stages
* Information on clicker training, targeting, and point training
* Suggestions and games for positive play training
* Doglish 101 to help you decipher your puppy's bark and body language
* Techniques for dealing with specific bad behaviors, including jumping, digging, pulling on the leash, barking and aggression, stealing food, and more
Complete with more than fifty photos, stories from the author's teaching experiences, a Doglish glossary, and more, this must-read will help you turn your adorable, but far from perfect, puppy into a lovable friend for life.
About the Author
Table of ContentsAcknowledgments.
A Welcoming Wag.
1. Putting Yourself in Your Puppy’s Paws.
Discover Your Puppy’s Personality.
Nature versus Nurture.
2. A Welcome Home.
Shopping for Puppy Supplies.
Healthful Habits, Happy Home.
3. Doglish 101.
Ahem!—Getting Your Attention.
The Civilized Puppy.
4. Puppy Parenting Styles.
What Feels Right.
Mystical Trinkets and Teaching Techniques.
5. Fun, Structure, and Communication for All.
A Look at Yourself.
Choose Your Battles.
Modify You, Modify Puppy.
The Game Gallery.
6. The Not-So-Perfect Puppy.
Understanding Their Impulses.
What to Chew?
7. Enjoying the First Year.
Oh-So Dependent (8 to 12 Weeks).
Self-Assured (12–16 weeks).
Look At Me Now (4–6 months).
Hot Shot (7 to 9 months).
Who’s the Boss? (10 to 12 months).
Expecting a Puppy?
Raising Kids and Puppies.
Two Puppies: Twice the Fun or Double Trouble?
Transitioning a New Puppy with Other Pets.
Sarah’s Doglish Glossary.