Common Core Top Pick for Language and Reading Literature and Informational Text Language
- Conventions of Standard English
- Vocabulary Acquisition and Use
Reading Literature and Informational Text
- Key Ideas and Details
- Integration of Knowledge and Ideas
View all Common Core Top Picks forLanguageandReading Literature and Informational Text
Skill Sharpeners Reading, Grade 6+ provides 12 motivating fiction and nonfiction stories. For example:
- "Hercules and the Many-Headed Hydra"
- "A Clever Jester Fools a King"
- "The Sausage"
- "The Terra Cotta Warriors: An Army of Clay"
- "Animal Partnerships"
- "Deborah Sampson, Revolutionary Soldier"
Activity pages include:
- comprehension questions
- a vocabulary exercise for every story
Other skills addressed include the following:
- critical thinking
- interpreting graphic information
- using a dictionary