A comprehensive big-game hunting guide, perfect for hunters ranging from first-time novices to seasoned experts, with more than 400 full-color photographs, including work by renowned outdoor photographer John Hafner
Steven Rinella was raised in a hunting family and has been pursuing wild game his entire life. In this first-ever complete guide to hunting—from hunting an animal to butchering and cooking it—the host of the popular hunting show MeatEater shares his own expertise with us, and imparts strategies and tactics from many of the most experienced hunters in the United States as well.
This invaluable book includes
• recommendations on what equipment you will need—and what you can do without—from clothing to cutlery to camping gear to weapons
• basic and advanced hunting strategies, including spot-and-stalk hunting, ambush hunting, still hunting, drive hunting, and backpack hunting
• how to effectively use decoys and calling for big game
• how to find hunting locations, on both public and private land, and how to locate areas that other hunters aren’t using
• how and when to scout hunting locations for maximum effectiveness
• basic information on procuring hunting tags, including limited-entry “draw” tags
• a species-by-species description of fourteen big-game animals, from their mating rituals and preferred habitats to the best hunting techniques—both firearm and archery—for each species
• how to plan and pack for backcountry hunts
• instructions on how to break down any big-game animal and transport it from your hunting site
• how to butcher your own big-game animals and select the proper cuts for sausages, roasts, and steaks, and how to utilize underappreciated cuts such as ribs and shanks
• cooking techniques and recipes, for both outdoor and indoor preparation of wild game
|Publisher:||Random House Publishing Group|
|Product dimensions:||8.10(w) x 10.00(h) x 1.10(d)|
About the Author
Steven Rinella is the author of Meat Eater: Adventures from the Life of an American Hunter, American Buffalo: In Search of a Lost Icon, and The Scavenger’s Guide to Haute Cuisine. His articles have appeared in many publications, including Field and Stream, Men’s Journal, Outside, Men’s Health, The New York Times, Bowhunter, and the anthologies Best American Travel Writing and Best Food Writing. Born and raised in Twin Lake, Michigan, he now lives in Seattle, Washington.
Read an Excerpt
Excerpted from "The Complete Guide to Hunting, Butchering, and Cooking Wild Game"
Copyright © 2015 Steven Rinella.
Excerpted by permission of Random House Publishing Group.
All rights reserved. No part of this excerpt may be reproduced or reprinted without permission in writing from the publisher.
Excerpts are provided by Dial-A-Book Inc. solely for the personal use of visitors to this web site.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
Great intro book to Hunting, butchering, and cooking Wild Game (Big Game). Straight forward. I personally liked the straight forward no nonsense approach of discussing where the place places to spend money to get the most result for your dollar (for example--it's okay to hunt in second hand clothes). Steve Rinella's approach is straight forward. The text is easy to read, the pictures are clear and pertinent. The captions are a bit small, or as I now say "in a young person's font," but that is a very minor issue. Excellent choice for both the experienced and novice hunter. I received this book via a Goodreads.com giveaway.