Black & Decker The Complete Guide to Painting & Decorating is an illustrated guide to improving interior rooms with paint, wallcoverings, and other decorative materials using professional techniques. Beginning with an overview of color and decorating principles, this helpful reference demonstrates the basics of painting and wallcovering, including: selecting and estimating materials, preparing the room, removing existing paint and wallcovering, repairing damaged walls and woodwork, application techniques, and cleanup methods. The featured projects appeal to all skill levels. Experienced do-it-yourselfers will be especially interested in the advanced painting and wallcovering projects, including: sponge painting, block printing, stenciling, rag rolling, painting faux finishes, painting and staining floors, hanging specialty wallcoverings, and creating wallcovering cutouts. There are also projects for adding architectural elements such as cornices, wall moldings, and ceiling medallions.
- A variety of affordable, do-it-yourself solutions for improving the appearance and style of any room.
- Professional advice on selecting paint and wallcovering.
- Exciting new design products such as wool painting pads, textured paint rollers, and polyurethane millwork.
- Demonstrations of each project with clear step-by-step instructions and color how-to photographs.
- Projects which appeal to a variety of skill levels and cover all aspects of painting and decorating, from beginning theories to advanced techniques.
About the Author
Creative Publishing international is a worldwide publisher of how-to books. The company's current retail offering includes over 300 titles on topics covering home improvement, home decorating, sewing, crafting, hunting & fishing, and photography. Over the past 15 years, CPi has developed high-quality photography step-by-step books with nationally recognized brand partners like Black & Decker and Singer.
The editors of Creative Publishing international have created dozens of best-selling titles in the fields of home repair, home improvement, home decor, and landscaping.
Table of Contents
- Color & Decorating Principles
- Color Schemes
- Creating a Mood
- Creating a Room Design
- Basic Painting and Wallcovering Techniques
- Basic Painting
- Basic Wallcovering
- Advanced Painting and Wallcovering
- Advanced Painting
- Tools for Advanced Painting
- Materials for Advanced Painting
- Taped-Off Designs
- Freehand Painted Designs for Walls
- All-Over Sponge Designs
- Terra-Cotta Wall Design
- Sponge Painted Check Design
- Block-Printed Designs
- Stenciled Designs
- Tromp L'Oeil Stenciled Designs
- Scumbled Wall Designs
- Stained Floors
- Painted Wood Floor Designs
- Aged & Distressed Floor Finishes
- Strie & Combed Designs
- Faux Moire Design
- Texturized Designs
- Rag-Rolled Design
- Textured Dual-Roller Designs
- Color-Washed Designs
- Faux Finish Designs
- How to Apply a Faux Serpentine Finish
- How to Apply a Faux Unpolished Stone Finish
- How to Apply Grout Lines
- Faux Wood Finish Design
- Advanced Wallcovering Techniques
- Hanging Specialty Papers
- Wallcovering Cutouts
- Wall Frame Moldings
- Faux Millwork Moldings and Medallions