Part of The New Art and Science of Teaching series
In The New Art and Science of Teaching Mathematics, authors Nathan D. Lang-Raad and Robert J. Marzano reenvision the groundbreaking New Art and Science of Teaching framework for math classrooms. Readers will discover myriad math strategies, tools, and methods of teaching mathematics for every step of the process, from articulating learning targets and conducting math lessons to engaging students, tracking progress, and celebrating successes.
Use this teaching resource to implement research-based best practices in teaching math:
- Explore how The New Art and Science of Teaching framework can help you optimize your methods and establish best practices in teaching mathematics.
- Become familiar with the 10 design areas and 43 elements of effective teaching strategies that make up the framework.
- Develop an understanding of which of the 43 elements of instruction are most effective in the mathematics classroom and in which types of lessons they should be used when teaching mathematics.
- Use each chapter's Guiding Questions for Curriculum Design to support planning and aid in reflection as a mathematics teacher.
- Discover a four-step process designed to help you deepen your expertise of math teaching strategies.
A joint publication of ASCD and Solution Tree
Chapter 1: Providing and Communicating Clear Learning Goals
Chapter 2: Using Assessments
Chapter 3: Conducting Direct Instruction Lessons
Chapter 4: Conducting Practicing and Deepening Lessons
Chapter 5: Conducting Knowledge Application Lessons
Chapter 6: Using Strategies That Appear in All Types of Lessons
Chapter 7: Using Engagement Strategies
Chapter 8: Implementing Rules and Procedures
Chapter 9: Building Relationships
Chapter 10: Communicating High Expectations
Chapter 11: Developing Expertise
References and Resources
|Publisher:||Solution Tree Press|
|Product dimensions:||8.40(w) x 10.80(h) x 0.50(d)|
What People are Saying About This
"Lang-Raad and Marzano have truly hit the mark. Mathematics teachers will have access to a multitude of strategies at all levels that they can implement immediately, including numerous technology tools they can explore to enhance student learning in mathematics. This is a must-read for every mathematics educator."
--Shelley Gies, director of curriculum and instruction, Clark-Pleasant Community School Corporation, Indiana
"An engaging and illuminating resource, The New Art and Science of Teaching Mathematics provides many mathematics-specific strategies and examples of Marzano's instructional framework in action in the mathematics classroom. This tool will undoubtedly assist teachers of mathematics as they hone their craft."
--Kim Bailey, educational consultant, author, and former director of professional development and instructional support, Capistrano Unified School District, California