For this new, compact edition The Story of Art has been completely redesigned, giving a fresh perspective to Gombrich's well-loved text. The illustrations, collected together in a separate section towards the back of the book for easy reference, vividly illustrate the lively and engaging narrative and are in colour throughout.
The Story of Art has always been admired for two key qualities: it is a pleasure to read and a pleasure to handle. In these respects the pocket edition is no exception, combining smoothly flowing text with a clear, simple design in a convenient and accessible format. The new edition allows this classic work to continue its triumphant progress for another generation, and to remain the title of first choice for all newcomers to art.
|Edition description:||THIS EDITION IS INTENDED FOR USE IN SCHOOLS AND LIBRARIES ONLY|
|Product dimensions:||4.20(w) x 7.10(h) x 1.50(d)|
Table of ContentsIntroduction: On Art and Artists.
1. Strange Beginnings: Prehistoric and Primitive Peoples; Ancient America.
2. Art for Eternity: Egypt, Mesopotamia, Crete.
3. The Great Awakening: Greece, Seventh to Fifth Century BC.
4. The Realm of Beauty: Greece and the Greek World, Fourth Century BC to First Century AD.
5. World Conquerors: Romans, Buddhists, Jews and Christians, First to Fourth Century AD.
6. A Parting of Ways: Rome and Byzantium, Fifth to Thirteenth Century.
7. Looking Eastwards: Islam, China, Second to Thirteenth Century.
8. Western Art in the Melting Pot: Europe, Sixth to Eleventh Century.
9. The Church Militant: The Twelfth Century.
10. The Church Triumphant: The Thirteenth Century.
11. Courtiers and Burghers: The Fourteenth Century.
12. The Conquest of Reality: The Early Fifteenth Century.
13. Tradition and Innovation I: The Later Fifteenth Century in Italy.
14. Tradition and Innovation II: The Fifteenth Century in the North.
15. Harmony Attained: Tuscany and Rome, Early Sixteenth Century.
16. Light and Colour: Venice and Northern Italy, Early Sixteenth Century.
17. The New Learning Spreads: Germany and the Netherlands, Early Sixteenth Century.
18. A Crisis of Art: Europe, Later Sixteenth Century.
19. Vision andVisions: Catholic Europe, First Half of the Seventeenth Century.
20. The Mirror of Nature: Holland, Seventeenth Century.
21. Power and Glory I: Italy, Later Seventeenth and Eighteenth Centuries.
22. Power and Glory II: France, Germany and Austria, Late Seventeenth and Early Eighteenth Centuries.
23. The Age of Reason: England and France, Eighteenth Century.
24. The Break in Tradition: England, America and France, Late Eighteenth and Early Nineteenth Centuries.
25. Permanent Revolution: The Nineteenth Century.
26. In Search of New Standards: The Late Nineteenth Century.
27. Experimental Art: The First Half of the Twentieth Century.
28. A Story without End: The Triumph of Modernism; Another Turning of the Tide; The Changing Past.
A Note on Art Books.
List of Illustrations by Location.
Index and Glossary.