This wide-ranging, two-volume encyclopedia of musicals old and new will captivate young fansand prove invaluable to those contemplating staging a musical production.
• Offers 700 alphabetically arranged entries related to musicals in theatre, film, and television
• Spans the history of musical theatre from Gilbert and Sullivan operettas in the late 1800s to the present
• Concentrates on musicals that are historically important and/or of mainstream interest, as well as those that might be examined in a high school music, music history, or theatre class
• Features a teacher-friendly guide to the most popular musicals performed by high schools, discussing casting/characters, costume needs, notes on the difficulty of the music, and more
• Includes a selected bibliography, discography, and videography as well as a chronology capturing key events in the history of the musical